Pumpkins are just for Halloween right? Wrong! Pumpkin seeds have an array of health benefits and are the perfect snack to have on their own or add to yoghurts, salads or soups!
- High in antioxidants like vitamin E which help to protect our bodies from damage caused by free radicals. Antioxidants also help to reduce inflammation in the body.
- Some studies suggest that consumption of pumpkin seeds helps to reduce the risk of certain cancers.
- Pumpkin seeds are high in magnesium which helps to control chemical reactions. Therefore magnesium helps to regulate blood pressure and blood sugar, reduce risk of heart disease and help to keep bones healthy.
- Pumpkin seeds are high in fibre. Research shows that consuming a diet high in fibre can reduce the risk of diabetes, heart disease and obesity.
- Pumpkin seeds may help sleep as they are a source of tryptophan, magnesium and zinc.
Emma Brennan is a qualified Nutritionist and is a registered member of the Association for Nutrition (AFN). Emma attained her qualification in Human Nutrition from Ulster University, Coleraine. Emma has a passion for all things nutrition and health related and her mission is to educate the public about their health and wellbeing through her blogs, videos and nutrition tips online and through the Good4U Nutrition Service provided to schools, sports clubs and businesses.