The Top 10 Facts You Need To Know About Protein
1. Protein comes from animal and plant sources. Animal sources include meat, fish, eggs & dairy. Plant sources include pulses, grains, nuts, seeds, tofu and soya products
2. Protein is made up of amino acids. Some of these must be obtained from food and are therefore called ‘essential amino acids’. Animal sources of protein contain all of the essential amino acids while plant sources may contain more of one essential amino acids but less of another. However, eating a variety of plant protein sources throughout the day will ensure you get all of the essential amino acids that you need.
3. We do not need to drink protein shakes. Protein shakes should act as a supplement to the diet only if you are not reaching your protein goals from food first. They are a handy thing to have on-the-go if you have not got time to make a meal, however, they are not essential.
4. Eating protein at each meal can help absorption and make it easier to hit protein intake targets. Aiming for 20g of protein per meal can be a good starting point for this.
5. Different ages of people and different lifestyles need different amounts of protein. For example, a breastfeeding woman will need different amounts compared to a sedentary elderly person.
6. An active person will require between 1.2g-2.2g of protein per kg of body weight depending on their goals. A person involved in heavier resistance training may need more protein to help repair muscle damage so they should opt for approx. 1.5g – 2.2g per kg of body weight.
7. Protein is needed for repair and growth of all body cells but also has a role to play in keeping our bodily tissues and immune systems healthy.
8. Snacking on higher protein snacks can be a great way to boost protein intake.
9. Protein has a satiating effect (it makes us feel fuller). In this way it is helpful for people who are trying to lose weight.
10. New Good4U Protein Balls are high in protein, fibre and absolutely delicious! They are the perfect high protein snack to have on-the-go! Check them out in yummy Vanilla Crisp or Orange Crisp flavours.